If this is your first injury caused by an accident or equivalent event, then filing an injury claim may seem unknown to you. Well, it’s pretty normal. The good thing is making a personal injury claim easier than you think. In this blog, we will cover how you can file an injury claim after accident. In fact, we will also explain why should you get help from personal injury attorneys. Let’s find out.
How Does a Personal Injury Claim Work?
There’re many misconceptions about personal injury files. Most people think it’s kind of ‘suing’ a person. Well, that’s not true. Most personal injury claims are filed against insurance companies.
When your lawyer is filing an injury claim against insurance companies, there are some common damages included:
- Medical Bills – Medical bill is the primary cost of a personal injury claim. A serious accident could reach a large number of medical costs. So, a personal injury claims all medical bills including hospital stays surgeries, medications, and more.
- Lost Wages – When you are injured, it will keep you out of work. So, if you are filing a personal injury claim, it can help you with lost wages.
- Pain and Suffering – An accident could be traumatic sometimes. It will take time to heal both physically and mentally. So, a personal injury claim could help with your mental health.
- Wrongful Death – Sometimes serious injury could result in death. A personal injury claim cannot ease the pain of loss, but it can help a family with paying the cost of the funeral, burial, and more.
How to File a Claim
Well, every case has different circumstances. However, there are some common steps every personal injury claim needs:
- Seek Medical Care
The first thing you need to file a personal injury claim is medical evidence. When you are visiting your doctor, make sure you are being honest with everything. If you exaggerate your claims, the insurance company might discredit your claim.
- Notify Relevant Parties
You need to inform certain parties about your accident. For example, if you are injured at your workplace, inform the management so they can notify the insurance company.
How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You
Getting help from a personal injury lawyer is an essential task. They can help you in many ways, especially when you are injured.
- Coordinate Medical Care
Personal injury lawyers coordinate with local healthcare providers so you can get direct help from professionals. You can do everything when you are injured. Moreover, you need a lawyer to get your letter of protection accepted by healthcare providers.
2. Gather Information
When you are claiming a file against insurance companies, you need relevant information. Cause they don’t give out money easily. So, your personal injury attorney can help you by gathering information including medical records, witness testimonials, cell phone records, and more.
3. Negotiate With Insurance Companies
Insurance companies deal with countless injury claims every day. So, they know which claim is worthy enough. When a personal injury lawyer takes care of the claim, they can deal with insurance companies about negotiation.
4. File a Lawsuit
Most personal injury claims are settled out of court. However, if the insurance companies do not agree with the claim, a personal injury lawyer can file a lawsuit and present it in court.
Filing an injury claim is essential, although you need to understand the process with patience. In most cases, most people don’t get time to stress out about filing a personal injury claim. This is why getting help from a personal injury attorney could be an ideal decision.